Tuesday 18 October 2011

Migrate your Oracle applications to DB2 with minimal effort

Here is a situation : I am currently on Oracle. I have invested heavily on building applications specific to Oracle. But right now I want something with lower pricing. Or I know certain technologies which are better. But the issue is once I am stuck it is very difficult for me to move to anything else, because that would necessarily mean rewriting huge amount of code to be used with the other RDBMS.

A lot of people would agree with me that either they have faced similar situations or they know about people who have come to a dead end after encountering such situations. Well then folks, its time to move to IBM DB2.

To make your current Oracle applications to run on any other RDBMS with minimal changes would need a lot of effort. This is because the two different RDBMS would use different forms of SQL syntax, Procedural Language and of course different data types. IBM DB2 takes into account all these dependencies and lowers the cost and effort of porting your existing Oracle applications to DB2.

IBM DB2 9.7 has a new feature Oracle Compatibility which makes it easier for DB2 to adopt the existing Oracle application code that has already been written.

In the coming weeks, I would share some interesting facts about this whole new feature. So keep watching this space for more.

No comments: